Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I paint clear glass to make it a mirror?

I have a large old window that I would like to make a mirror. I was wondering where I could get the proper paint and how to do it if possible?How do I paint clear glass to make it a mirror?
Paint won't work. It must be 'silvered`.


This can be done, but involves very thorough cleaning and degreasing, some chemicals it's better to let the 'pro`s handle, and it can't be done without taking it out of the frame..


Have it done at a glass shop.How do I paint clear glass to make it a mirror?
Do it right and have the glass silvered. But that is going to cost you a fortune.





There is, however, a silver vinyl (or synthetic material) that comes in rolls that has been used time and time again as a mirror surface for rear screen projection booths. It used to be sold by Hudson Photographic Industries in Irvington, NY.





If my memory serves me right, the name of the man is Norman Rabinowitz and a web site tht mentions the company and the product is:





www.isl.uiuc.edu/Labs/alice.htm
It is not a DIY thing; you have to have it done where they do


';silvering';. It is a processed thing.
you need to paint it with silver
you can get a pack of glass tiles 12 x 12'; at home depot for real inexpensive- you can cut them down if you feel adventurous- or have a glass/mirror shoppe cut them down for you to fit inside the window- glue with mirror mastic glue not just any glue (so it doesnt get ';black rot'; or splotchy shading on it after a while)





mirror goes thru and extensive mirroring process - dont know a company that does custom mirroring
Doesn't work that way. Have it silvered.

No comments:

Post a Comment