Thursday, February 18, 2010

I have a clear glass tea mug that has a crack. It was a gift so I do not want to throw it away. Ideas Please?

I want to either make it into a pencil holder, or a coin holder. My thing is how do i decorate the glass mug? Any ideas? It's clear, transperant, smooth, fat glass. It is not a perfect cylinder, it has curveture in shape. I hope this info helps. much luv and stay safe.





AngelI have a clear glass tea mug that has a crack. It was a gift so I do not want to throw it away. Ideas Please?
Maybe a candle? They have great wax and other candle accessories at craft stores - I'm sure it would turn out beautifully. If the crack goes all the way through, try hand painting the crack with some warmed wax with your fingertip and let it cool to seal. You could then use the same colored powdered wax to finish off the candle. Good luck.I have a clear glass tea mug that has a crack. It was a gift so I do not want to throw it away. Ideas Please?
I think this is a lovely idea, but I wanted to make it into a pencil or coin holder. this is a great idea! but not for me. thank you for your answer. much luv and stay safe.





Angel

Report Abuse



You can paint it...try to make it look like a stain glass window...or glue a piece of a cute fabric on it.
There are paints made for glass that would work well and it isn't hard to do small simple designs. Pick a them from your desk area and use those colors. Have you considered filling it with glass pebbles and a small dried nosegay of flowers?
Go to an auto parts store and ask for a windshield repair kit to fix the crack. You can take the repair solution and s l o w l y run it into the crack to fill it in. Go slow to chase all the air out of the crack. Once done, put the mug in a window with full sunlight to UV cure the solution. You're done! Then decorate however you wish, but fix the crack first so that the mug doesn't break further.
Hi Angel - try Glass Paint, it's available in a fantastic range of colours.


Painting over the crack will help hide the fault.
use acrylic paints like at your local craft store paint some daisys or grasses and flowers or what ever your fancy...your friends initials and yours and enjoy your pencils every time you go to grab one...
I saw this on a craft show (and tried it) to encourage children to craft. If you want a frosty look you can use glue and salt.





Put a thin coat of white glue (like Elmer's) where you want the frosted look to be (I did the whole thing on mine), then roll it in the salt. You can mix a few drops of food coloring in the salt to make it colorful. To make designs, tape paper to the glass, then do the steps above.
Rhinestone it! How can you go wrong with a rhinestoned pencil holder!
You can also decoupage it. When I do glass objects, I like to use napkins with great patterns, gift wrap paper or tissue paper. Aileens makes a product called Liquid Laminate available at Michaels crafts. I use it as my ';glue'; because it doesn't bubble quite as much on glass as Mod Podge does and dries clear. For a really cool affect, put the decoupaged items on the inside of the mug.





Nice way to perserve something with such sentimental value, have fun!
glass paint glue beads glitter anything goes!
I was always told that if there is a crack in you coffee mug throw it away. The reason for that is because the crack builds up Bactria.

No comments:

Post a Comment